20080723

Children's television

Children's television has changed dramatically since the beginning of television. From what I remember as a kid it was calmer, less hyper, and less.. weird.

Yo Gabba Gabba. Seriously, if you have never seen this show you won't believe they make this show. It is 5 "toy" creatures that come to life on a old style sound stage. One creature looks like a cat-ish-thing. One looks like a pink drop of something wearing flowers, another is a yellow robot that looks like it was made out of a PAM can. Then there is a green stripped thing that looks like an alien tried to mix a raccoon and a pickle. And then... there is the walking sex toy. I'm not kidding a long phallic shaped red thing with bumps all over it. Throw in some arms and legs for her pleasure... and BOOM you have your cast of a psychedelic kids show. Have I mentioned the weird skinny black guy with HUGE teeth and spandex suit, orange spaz fur hat and huge black glasses.

And then there is the LARGE woman in glitter gold spandex dancing. With a bouffant hairdo and Elvis fringe. She is like some horrible High School dance team hold over who doesn't realize that she graduated 15 years ago and that there ARE regulations about who should wear lame.

And that's JUST the visuals of this show.

They sing, they dance, and they attempt to teach some sort of crude lesson about liking bugs or not being afraid of the dark. Nice thoughts, but its more like "I LIKE BUGS" sung over and over and over about 500 times. Out of tune.

Please. Someone, bring back Bugs Bunny. Tom and Jerry? Winnie the Pooh? At least back then the sex toys didn't talk to my kids.

3 comments:

CKD said...

I am dying here, cracking up at my desk. Who pitches these shows? And who puts them on the air?

FraochNiCymru said...

I was going to say "Some kook in San Francisco" but then... I considered my kooky west coast audience! LOL

I'd say someone from Dupont Circle in DC?

CKD said...

Nah, definitely not SF material. There would be more of a focus on organically grown food or something, but they would be really uppity about it. And the host would use a lot more product in his hair.